In the last post we talked about the underlying causes and treatment options for adult acne. In this post we are going to go over some simple skin care rules and treatment options for acne prone skin.
As we well know, your skin is an organ. Its job is to protect your body against external factors as well as to expel harmful toxins from your system. It works hard for you, so it only stands to reason that you should take time to properly care for it in return.
If you have suffered with acne any time during your life there’s no doubt that you have dreamed of having healthy, clear, smooth skin, free from blemishes, lesions and scars. Often times this dream seems unattainable to those of us who suffer with acne on a daily basis. The bottom line is the only way you can hope to achieve clear healthy glowing skin is by taking good care of it.
Basic Skin Care Rules
Let’s go over a few basic skin care rules that can help you achieve the results you are hoping for as quickly as possible.
- Don’t waste your time looking for an overnight cure.
- Use only top quality, proven effective skin care products and treatments, specifically designed for acne prone skin.
- Develop a daily skin care regimen and stick to it.
- Consume a healthy, nutrient rich diet high in zinc, vitamin A, E & B6.
- Drink 8 to 12 glasses water every day to help flush your system of excess toxins.
- Get plenty of cardiovascular exercise to help increase your blood circulation and promote overall health.
- Remember to shower immediately after exercise or excessive sweating to help remove dead skin cells and excess oil.
- Protect your sensitive acne prone skin at all times, by using sunscreen when you go outside and wearing protective clothing and gloves when using harsh chemicals or cleaning products.
- Only use non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic products and cosmetics.
- Never squeeze or pop your blemishes. Remember it only makes them worse and can lead to infection and scarring.
With the wide range of acne skin care products and treatments available on the market today it can get very confusing when trying to develop an effective skin care regimen. While some over-the-counter products can be very effective others are a complete waste of money and time.
It’s important to be aware that different treatments work for different people. One of the best ways to determine which a skin care product and treatments will work best for your acne is to first determine what type of skin you have.
While there are some people who have normal skin most teenagers and young adults have oily or combination skin. Then there are adult acne sufferers who often have dry skin. As I said, it can get very confusing, but once you have determined what your skin type is, you can then begin to narrow down product and treatment options that will work best for you.
No matter which acne product or treatment you use, be careful to avoid allergic reactions and irritation. With any new product you try be sure to perform a patch test, as we have discussed before, so that you can be sure that it’s compatible with your system. Be sure to always read the labels and follow the instructions for each individual product that you try to ensure that it will work properly.
And remember, when in doubt check with your dermatologist, so that they can help you explore the possible products and treatments options for your specific skin type.